Boston Calling resumes after festival-goers evacuate due to inclement weather

Dark clouds bringing heavy rain and the threat of lightning chilled Boston Calling attendees as they were evacuated from the festival site on Saturday afternoon.

During the downpour, festival workers directed crowds to sheltered areas of Harvard Stadium or the Harvard Square area.

“Fans leaving party venues will be permitted to re-enter,” an announcement to the crowd read. “Stay tuned for updates.”

Many festival-goers, especially those who had just arrived or were present only for the day, were disappointed. The participants, however, acknowledged that it was just bad luck and that the weather cannot be controlled.

Noah, 23, from Boston, said he arrived at the festival 10 minutes before the rain started.

“Basically, we have to eat, then [we had to go]so I feel pretty disappointed,” he said as he took shelter under a canopy near Havard Stadium. “Hopefully it ends soon – the rain.”

The weather, however, was just one of many bumps in the road for this year’s Boston call. The Rage Against the Machine headliner was canceled in January and then Foo Fighters in March after drummer Taylor Hawkins died unexpectedly while on tour. The Strokes – another headliner who was due to play on Saturday – suddenly had to drop out due to a positive COVID diagnosis, disappointing many fans.

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard Group announced the same day that they were also to pull out of Saturday’s lineup due to a positive COVID diagnosis.

Spirits, however, tried to stay positive as the crowd sheltering under a canopy outside Havard Stadium began to cheer and chant.

“We can listen to at least some music,” Noah noted lightheartedly as some members of the crowd continued their applause and chants. “You can’t be [angry]the weather is nice, isn’t it?

Others remained hopeful that things would pick up shortly as the rain moved through the area.

“I’m optimistic we can get back there, but who knows with the weather,” said Alison, 22, a student and another member of the crowd packed under the awning. She said she checked the weather forecast before the day started.

“I just thought we were going to party in the rain,” she said. “I didn’t really think they would stop and kick us out.”

The crowd’s optimism was rewarded, however, as the rain stopped around 5:15 p.m.

Music Festival. (Jesse Costa/WBUR)” data-reactid=”320″/>
A rainbow appears after a severe thunderstorm ripped through Boston during the Boston Calling Music Festival. (Jesse Costa/WBUR)

Boston Calling has officially announced that the festival will reopen at 5:30 p.m. and the music will resume at 6 p.m.

And as the crowds returned to the park, a large rainbow stretched across the sky. Despite heavy rain, a two-hour delay and last-minute band cancellations, the show must go on.

Previous Oli Sykes - BMTH were portrayed as Motley Crue-Esque 'D--kheads'
Next Orpheum Theater Group Announces Winners of 13th Annual High School Musical Theater Awards